When dragging files to the trash you are prompted for a password
Sometimes when moving files or folder the permission are not carried over.
You will need to re-take ownership of the trash folder.
- Click on the Spotlight (magnifying glass in top right), type “Terminal” and press enter.
- Type the following command replacing “your_user_name” with your user name.
sudo chown your_user_name ~/.Trash
- You will need to enter your password and press Enter.
- It won’t show any characters when you type.
- If you do not have a password then set one first.
If you are presented with the following error: “No such file or folder” then do the following:
- Type the following command:
Check your permisions are correct on your user files.
- Navigate to your main hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and select your /Users folder.
- Press “Cmd+I” to bring up the Get Info window.
- Expand the “Sharing and Permissions” arrow.
- Next to your username you should see “Read & Write”.
- Click the small Gear icon and then click “Apply to enclosed items…”