If your Mac has any of the following issues then getting it into Safe Boot may help:
- Flashing question mark appears when trying to boot
- Gray screen with a stuck or always showing progress bar
- White or Blue Screen upon boot
- Unable to repairing permissions
- System is running extremely slow
- Unable to log in
This can be due to corruption on the Hard Drive or incorrect settings amongst many other reasons.
Getting into Safe boot may solve any of these issues without having to run any further tests. A Safe boot depending on what the issue is and what has to be done can take awhile, this is due to the fact its doing a disk check and further operations as well.
- If you Mac is not turned off, do so now. If it’s unresponsive then press and hold the power button until it shuts down and turns off.
- If you didn’t press it fast enough then it will just try to boot into the machine normally, wait a few minutes and turn off or restart the machine and try again.
- Press the power button and immediately hold the Shift key.
- If your Mac starts fine without any issues, then restart or shut down and try getting into your account as normal.
If this doesn’t work and the issues still there, if your confident with your machine and with these instructions then try Troubleshooting with Single User Mode.