When you delete files or drag them to the Trash can, you are asked to input your password. After doing so, the file has been deleted but the Trash appears to be empty.
- Go to the Applications folder.
- Open the Utilities folder.
- Open Terminal.
- In the Terminal window type the following and press Enter:
sudo rm -rfv ~/.Trash
- You will need to enter your password and press Enter.
- It won’t show any characters when you type.
- If you do not have a password then set one first.
- Now type in the following and press Enter:
mkdir -v ~/.Trash
- Close the Terminal window.
- Click the Apple icon in the top left of the screen.
- Click Force Quit.
- In the Force Quit Applications window, click on Finder.
- Click the Relaunch button.
- Close the Force Quit Applications window.
You should now be able to move files to the Trash.