When you try to test Text to Speech from the Control Panel you hear no sound yet you are able to hear other forms of audio such as music when you play them.You may also not hear anything when using a screen reader such as ClaroRead.
This can be caused by problems with SAPI, which is used for text-to-speech functions. It can also be due to conflicting audio settings.
- Disable Sound Enhancements
- Click the Start button.
- Type mmsys.cpl and press Enter.
- Click the correct sound device and then click Properties.
- Go to the Enhancements Tab.
- Check the “Disable all sound effects” checkbox.
- Click OK.
- Install / Reinstall SAPI 5
- Download the SAPI 5 installer.
- Run the file and choose the Install or Repair option.