After prompting the user to install an update the computer restarts and after logging in it just shows a black screen with a cursor arrow.
From the black screen you can still access the options menu by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time.
From here you have several options, including a power icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Press and hold the left shift button.
- Whilst holding the shift button down, click on the power icon and select “Restart” (keep the shift button held down)
- You will now be presented with another menu.
- Choose the “Troubleshoot” option.
- Now choose the “Refresh” option.
- Confirm that you want to refresh your computer and choose your account name.
- The computer will now restart and the refresh will commence, which should resolve the issue.
If the refresh fails to resolve the problem then you can use the reset feature from the same menu, however be aware that this will wipe your user data, therefore your main concern should be to try and backup your data to a USB flash drive before running this feature. In order to backup you should be able to access your files through safe mode. Some Windows features will be unavailable in safe mode but it should enable you to access your user files and copy them to an external USB device.